What’s (the name of) your hometown?
Is that a big city or a small place?
How long have you been living there?
Do you like your hometown?
Work & Study
Do you work or study?
Do you like it? Do you find it interesting?
What do you find most difficult with your job/studies?
Do you think your job/subject is easy or difficult?
What are you planning to do in the future?
House & Accommodation
What do you like most about the house/apartment you live?
Compare the place you grew up and you live now.
Who do you live with?
What room does your family spend most of the time in?
Do you live in a house or a flat?
What's the difference between where you are living now and where you have lived in the past?
What’s your ideal house? Why?
Do you like your names?
Does your name have any special meaning?
What kinds of names are popular in China?
Are there many Chinese people who have the same names as you?
Is there any tradition about naming babies?
Who do you prefer to have a barbecue with, your family or your friends?
What kind of food do you like to eat for a barbecue?
Do Chinese people like barbecue?
Do you like to travel by car?
Where is the farthest place you have traveled to by car?
What kind of car seat do you prefer, front seat or back seat?
Do you walk a lot?
Do you walk more often than in the past?
Do you think people will walk more in the future?
Where do you usually take a walk?
Do you have enough time to walk?
Where can you bargain? Why?
How do you bargain?
Do Chinese people bargain?
What do you think of bargain?
How often do you drink water?
What kind of water do you like?
Do you prefer to drink bottled or water from machines?
Do you like to play in the water?
Would you like to work in a company related to environmental protection?
How can we protect the environment?
Do you think you’ve done enough to protect the environment?
Is there any education about environmental protection at school?
Taking a rest
How often do you take a rest?
Do you take a nap when you are taking your rest?
How do you feel after taking a nap?
What’s your home’s decoration?
What kind of decoration do you want to have?
Do Chinese people like redecorating their home?
What’s your favorite color when decorating your home?
Do you like trees?
Are there any important trees in your country?
Is there a forest near your hometown?
Would you like to live in a place that has a lot of trees?
Where can one find trees (or forests) in your country?
Do you think places with trees attract more visitors than places with few trees?
Do you think planning is important for time management?
Would you say you manage your time well?
Do you think it’s useful to plan your time?
Do you think young people and old people organize their time in the same way?
Where did you learn how to organize your time?
Do you recycle now? Why?
Did you recycle when you were a child?
Will you recycle in the future?
Do you often stay up late?
What do you do when you stay up late?
How do you feel when you have stayed up late the night before?
Celebrate the New Year
How to celebrate the New Year?
Have you ever celebrated New Year that you still remember?
Do you like going shopping?
Do you go shopping online?
Does shopping take you a lot of time?
What’s the best part of shopping?
Did you go on a picnic when you were a child?
How often do you go on a picnic now?
Where do you go on a picnic?
What is the difference between a picnic and cooking at home?
In a hurry
What do you always do in a hurry? Why?
What kind of things would you never do in a hurry?
Do you usually go out in a hurry?
Do you like to be in a hurry?
Do you like to wear special costumes?
Did you try any special costumes when you are young?
When was your last time to wear special costumes?
How often do you look at the sky?
Do you prefer the sky in the morning or the sky at night?
Can you see the moon and stars at night where you live?
Is there a good place to look at the sky where you live?
Do you like flowers?
What is your favourite flower?
Do you think flowers are important?
How often do you write an Email?
Who do you write to?
What kind of Email do you receive that makes you happy?
Do you think it's important to reply emails quickly?
Do you use perfume?
What kind of perfume do you like?
What does perfume mean to you?
Do you give perfume as a gift?
Do you make a list when you shop?
Do you make a list for your work? Does it work?
Why do not some people like making lists?
Do you prefer to make a list on paper or your phone?
Do you often wear makeup?
What does wearing makeup mean to you?
Do you give makeup as gifts?
What do you think when you see a man wearing makeup?
What's the most popular means of transportation in your hometown?
Do you prefer public transportation or private transportation?
How often do you take buses?
Would you ride bikes to work in the future?
Do you like watching TV program?
What types of TV programs do you like to watch?
Do to stick to one type of program all the time?
Do you talk to your friends about the programs watched by yourself?
What kind of advertisements do you watch?
Where can you see advertisements?
Have you ever bought something because of its advertisement?
Do you watch advertisements from the beginning to the end?
Wallet & Purse
Do you have a wallet or a purse?
Did you lose your wallet or purse before?
Have you sent others a wallet or a purse as a gift?
What’s your favorite color?
What colors are the walls of the rooms in your home?
Do you prefer dark colors or bright colors?
Is there any color that has special meaning in your country?
Do you wear jeans?
How often do you wear jeans?
Do you like wearing jeans, why?
Why do you think jeans are popular?
Do you spend a lot of money on jeans?
Why do people choose to wear jeans?
Do you have a lot of furniture in your home?
Is there anyone who bought furniture for you?
What kind of furniture would you like to buy?
Which furniture do you like best in your home?
Do you like texting?
Do you prefer sending or receiving messages?
Have you ever received a confusing text message?
In what circumstances is making a phone call better than sending a text message?
What wild animal do you like most?
Have you ever seen any wild animals before?
Do you like to go to the zoo?
Have you ever kept pets?
What kind of farmland do you like?
Did you do farming work in your childhood?
What is the most suitable animal kept in the farm?
Have you visited a farm?
Do you think farming is important?
What did you like to do when you were in primary school?
How did you go to your primary school?
How do you like your primary school?
What did you do in your leisure time in your primary school?
Have you ever been to the countryside?
Do you like living in the countryside?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in the countryside?
What is the difference between the relationship of neighbours in the countryside and that in the city?
Which place is more beautiful, the city or the countryside?
Have you been to a history museum?
Do you like history?
When was the last time you read about history?
What do you think is the best age to learn driving?
How do you feel about getting older?
Should we treat people of different ages in the same way?
What kinds of people do you like to make friends with?
Do you think you are a good friend for others?
What do you think makes good friends?
Do you keep in contact with friends from your childhood?
Have you ever met famous people?
Who do you want to interview?
Why do you want to meet home or her?
Do you want to meet other famous people?
Are you a tidy person?
How do you keep things tidy?
Do you think people should be tidy all the time?
Are you tidier at work (& school) or at home?
Describe a natural talent you want to improve
1. Do you think artists with talents should focus on their parents?
2. Is it possible for us to know whether the children who are 3 or 4 years old would be musicians and painters?
3. Why people like to watch talent shows?
4. Do you think parents feel guilty for putting too much pressure on their children?
Describe an old person you know and respect
1. What qualities does a person need to take care of old people?
2. Do you think that old people should be taken care of at home?
3. How can people in the neighborhood help the elderly during the epidemic?
4. Do you see this kind of help (mentioned above) occurring in your neighborhood?
Describe an energetic person that you know
1. What kinds of jobs need a lot of physical work?
2. What is the difference between payment for physical work and that for mental work?
3. Can physical workers receive higher salaries in the future?
4. Do you think machines could replace human workers in the future?
Describe a perfect job for you
1. What kinds of job would be chosen by children?
2. Will you be regretful for your choice when you get old?
3. Do all children choose the same job as their parents?
4. Apart from money, what factors should be considered when we find a job?
Describe an intelligent person you know
Describe a person who wears unusual clothes
1. Do you think what people wear can influence their mood?
2. Do you think it is a good idea to buy clothes online?
3. What kind of clothes do people wear in the workplace?
4. What are the differences between clothes worn by old people and those by young people?
Describe your favorite singer or band
1. What kind of music do people like at different ages?
2. What kind of music is popular in China now and what kind will be in the future?
3. Do you think the most popular singer is the best one?
Describe a plan in your life (that is not related to work or study)
1. Should parents make plans for children?
2. When should children start to make plans for themselves?
3. What things should be planned on a daily basis?
4. Are plans always necessary? Can people succeed without plans?
Describe a plan influenced by weather
1. Do people care about weather?
2. Is weather forecast accurate?
3. What influences will weather bring about?
Describe a piece of news that local people are interested in
1. Do local people read the newspaper?
2. Do people prefer local or international news?
3. Do you think it is important to have a national identity?
4. How can people develop their national identity?
Describe a law or regulation about environmental protection
1. Are there laws about education in China?
2. What kinds of rules do schools in China have?
3. What can teachers do to make students obey rules?
4. What should parents do to educate children about laws?
Describe a toy you liked in your childhood
1. How do advertisements influence children?
2. Should advertising aimed at kids be prohibited?
3. Do you think parents should buy more toys for their kids or spend more time with them?
4. What’s the difference between the toys kids play now and those they played in the past?
5. What can children learn from playing toys?
Describe a tradition in your country
1. How do people value traditional festivals?
2. What is the difference between festivals now and those in the past?
3. Do you think western festivals like Christmas are replacing traditional festivals in your country?
4. Do you think it is wrong for children not to celebrate traditional festivals?
Describe an important thing for your family for a long period of time
Describe a kind of weather that you like
1. How many seasons in your country?
2. Would you tell me some festivals about seasons?
Describe a skill that you think you can teach other people
1. Should a teacher be funny in the class?
2. Which age group is the best to learn?
Describe a film that made you laugh
1. Do people like comedy?
2. Why do people of all ages like cartoons?
3. Why do some people like to make others laugh?
4. Should teachers tell jokes in class?
Describe a live sport match you watched
1. Is the live competition different from the competition of TV?
Describe a short trip you do but don’t like
1. Who prefer to travel abroad, old people or young people?
2. Do Chinese people like travelling abroad?
Describe a tall building in your city you like or dislike
1. What are the disadvantages of living in a tall building?
2. Do you think there will be more tall buildings in the future?
3. Why are not there many tall buildings in the countryside?
Describe a city that you have been to and would like to visit again
1. What is the difference between life in city and life in rural areas?
2. What are the problems you find in the cities?
3. What cities have changed in the past 10 years?
4. Do you agree that people in the countryside are friendlier than people in the cities?
Describe a place where you are able to relax
1. Do people prefer living in new house or old house? Why?
2. Should old buildings be rebuilt? Why?
Describe a street market or an outdoor market you’ve been to
1. Do you think small markets would disappear in the future?
Describe an argument two of your friends had
1. Do you think argument is important?
2. What do family members usually have arguments about?
3. Is it easier for you to have arguments with your family or your friends?
4. Do you think people should change the way they think when having arguments?
Describe a leisure activity on/near the sea
1. Why do people like to spend time on the sea?
2. Why do people like to work on the sea?
3. Why do people like traveling by the sea?
Describe a (jigsaw) puzzle
1. Do Chinese like doing puzzles?
2. Why parents let their children do puzzles?
3. Can puzzles improve people’s intelligence?
Describe a time when you were scared by someone
1. Is it a good thing to scare other people?
2. Why are some people easy to be scared?
3. What should people do if they are scared?
Describe an expensive activity that you enjoy doing occasionally
1. What kinds of expensive things do people like to buy?
2. What is the difference between women and men in buying things?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages about being rich?
4. Why are some sports expensive? Are they for everyone?
Describe an experience that you got bored when you were with others
1. Why do people get bored?
2. Why are people less interested in reading books nowadays?
Describe a time when you ate something for the first time
1. What kinds of foreign food are popular in your country?
2. What are young people’s opinions on new food? How about old people?
3. Should teachers and parents teach children how to cook?
4. Why do people like their local food?
Describe a time that you changed your mind
1. Do old people often change plans?
2. Do young people like to change plans?
3. What are the common reasons when people need to change plans?
4. How would you tell your friends when you must change your plan?
5. What kinds of plans are practical?
Describe a time when you saw children behave badly in public
1. What bad behavior do children usually have?
2. How should parents stop their children from behaving badly in public?
3. Are parents these days stricter than those in the past?
4. Whose influence on children is more important? Friends’ or parents’?
Describe an occasion when you waited for something or someone for a long time
1. How do you manage time?
Describe a time when you helped someone
1. Should parents help their kids with their homework?
2. What kind of advice should parents give to their children?
3. Should parents give children advice? Why?
4. Can kids provide any help to parents?
Describe an occasion when you forgot something important
1. What kinds of things do people forget easily?
2. What kinds of people are more forgetful?
3. How can people improve their memory?
4. What do you think of people using calendars to remind themselves of things?
Describe a time when your computer had a problem
1. Why people are addicted to computer?
2. What people do with a computer?
Describe a time when you received good news
1. Where do people get news?
2. What kind of news do people like to read? Why?
3. How can companies tell the public its news? On the internet or through press conference?
4. What do you think of the news on social media?
Describe the time when you first talked in a foreign language
1. At what age should children start learning a foreign language?
2. Which skill is more important, speaking or writing?
3. Does a person still need to learn other languages, if he or she is good at English?
4. Do you think minority languages will disappear?
Describe a time when you did not tell a friend the truth
1. Do you think mutual trust between friends is important?
2. Do you think people need to tell the truth all the time?
3. Why do children tell lies?
4. What should parents do if their children tell lies?
Describe a time you get lost in a place you did not know
1. Do you think people can easily get lost or not?
2. Do you think it is important to read the map?
3. Why people are willing to travel in some new place?
4. Do you think it is important to do some preparation before you go?
Describe a prize you want to win
1. What rewards can children get from school?
2. Should parents push their children to get prizes?
3. Is it good for children to compete for prizes at school?
4. What kinds of rewards can companies offer to their outstanding employees?
Describe a situation when you couldn’t use your phone
1. What do you do when you can’t use your phone?
2. How do phones influence social behaviors?
3. Do you think it necessary to make laws about using phones?
4. What do you think that primary school students have phones?
5. What age do you think that is proper for children to use phones?