1. Some people think that things learnt at school are not as useful, and there are important skills to learn outside school. Do you agree or disagree?
2. Some people think lawbreakers should be sent to prison, while others think there are some alternatives (e.g. make them do work which also benefits for the local community) for those crimes are minor.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
3. In some countries, the parents expect children to spend long time in studying both in and after school and have less free time. Do you think it has positive or negative effects on children and the society that they live in?
4. In the past, buildings often reflected the culture of a society but today all modern buildings look alike and cities throughout the world are becoming more and more similar.
What do you think is the reason for this, and is it a good thing or a bad thing?
5. Advertising discourages people from becoming different individuals by all want to be and to look the same. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
6. We have a mixture of people from different culture and ethnic groups in a country. Why? Is this a positive or negative development? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
7. During the 20th century, contacts between different parts of the world developed quickly, thanks to the air travel and telecommunication.
To what extent do you think societies benefit from increasing contact and closer relationships with foreigners brought by international tourism and business?
8. Some people think that the most important thing in the life is free, which cannot be bought by money. Do you agree or disagree?