托福口语第五题在TASK3, 4, 5, 6这四道综合题中算是一道相对简单的题，也是*一道要求考生表达自己观点的综合题。这道题考生是不会遇到阅读部分的，只有听力部分，然后需要考生做出口语应答。
(man) Tina, I’m so glad I bump into you.
(woman) Hey, Bob, what’s up?
(man) Well, you know how I told you I could work for you tonight? Cover yourshift at the dining hall later?
(woman) Yeah, thanks so much for that. Friday night dinner shifts are tough to find substitutes for.
(man) Well, actually, (woman) Oh, no! Don’t tell me something came up and you’re canceling? (man) Um, yeah, I’m afraid I forgot tonight I’ve got a music rehearsal for the bend I’m in. (woman) Music rehearsal?
(man) Yeah, I play keyboards for Little Rock Band here on campus and we’ve got practice tonight to prepare for a concert we’re doing that’s coming up. It’s really kind of important.
(woman) Well, I don’t know what to do now because I already made plans to go to the school’s play with some friends tonight.
(woman) Yeah, and there’s no way I can find someone to work my shift now. It’s so last minute. (man) I’m really sorry, Tina.
(woman) Well, I guess I could cancel my plan to see the play. Go see it another time by myself since my friends are seeing it tonight. I think it’s playing for another week.
(man) Or, you know, I guess I could talk to the band leader explain to him that I can’t make the band practice tonight.
(man) Yeah, I mean, it’s my fault I forgot and I want to do the right thing here since I did say I’d work for you. It’s just that some of the songs are new to me and tonight’s our last practice before the concert. I don’t want to sound bad at the show.
1. The man has a time conflict tonight. He promised to cover a shift in dining hall for Tina, yet in the same time he had a musical rehearsal to take part in.
2. The woman can cancel the appointment with her friends to see a play.
3. The man can explain to band leader that he cannot make the band practice tonight.
4. If I were the man, I would definitely try to explain to my band leader that I couldn’t attend this music rehearsal tonight.
5. Because it was him that forgot the schedule. And it was really bad to make mistakes and meanwhile let others take the penalty. In addition, the man should man up and explain this tough issue to his band leader. Hopefully the leader could understand, as the concert won’t be performed tonight.
The man in the listening passage confronts a problem that he has a time conflict. He needed to cover a shift for his friend Tina in dining hall tonight, yet in the same time he had a musical rehearsal to take part in. So there are two solutions for him. The woman can cancel the appointment that to see a play with her friends. Moreover, the man can explain to band leader that he cannot make the band practice tonight. If I were the man, I would definitely try to explain to my band leader that I couldn’t attend this music rehearsal tonight,because it was he that forgot the schedule. And it was really bad to make mistakes and meanwhile let others take the penalty. In addition, the man should man up and explain this tough issue to his band leader. Hopefully the leader could understand, as the concert won’t be performed tonight.
那么这题在上课的时候有几个注意事项是我觉得比较重要的，需要向同学们强调一下。一个是考生在回答这道题之前，先在笔记上写上1, 2, 3, 4, 5点。这是很重要的，这样可以让考生听听力更有目的，并且在回答的时候也可以更从容，很多时候都是由一些小细节组成的。第二点考生们要注意的就是时间的分配。因为第五题是*一道可以加入考生自己观点的题，因此考生们一定要掌握好听力部分的总结和自己观点之间的比例问题。这一题是ETS给考生表达自己态度的机会，因此考生应该抓住这个机会。所以比较推荐的一个时间分配是1:1, 也就是，考生花30秒左右时间总结听力当中的内容，然后再花30秒左右的时间去表达自己的观点。第三点是关于考生说的理由，这个理由可以参考听力文章中给出的线索，也可以自己去构想一下理由。