[例1] The ordeal of the Cherokee Indians， who were forcible moved from their homeland in the 1830*s， is remembered as the *Tears*. (91.10)
[答案] B 修饰动词moved应用副词forcibly。
[例2] Although the United States experienced rapidly growth in the first half of the nincieenth century， it was still predominately concerned with agriculture and forestry. (93.10)
[答案] A 修饰名词growth应用形容词rapid，而不用副词rapidly。 此题是TOEEL常考类型题。请注意以- ly后缀构成的副词通常是命题焦点。
解题要点： 区分副词not和形容词no的命题是TOEEL常考的题型，主要分布在structure (1-15题)中。当not或no出现在选择答案中，应首先判断它所修饰的中心词的词性以决定选哪一个否定词。
(1) Since Alaska attained statehood in 1959------- single party has dominated politics there.
(D) never (94.1)
[答案] B 修饰中心名词party应用形容词no，而非副词not。
(2) ------- social crusade aroused Elizabeth Williams enthusiasm more than the expansion of the United States.
(D) None (91.10)
[答案] 修饰主语名词crusade 应用形容词no. 而非副词not。
(3) ------- all rainwater falling from a cloud reaches the ground， some of it is lost through evaporation.
(D) None (91.8)
[答案] B 修饰形容词all应用否定副词not。Not all (不是所有的)是固定短语搭配，表示的是部分否定，not all = sosme。
(4) The mechanism by which brain cells store memories is ------- clearly understood.
(D) nor (90.5)
[答案] C 否定系词is，应用副词not。
(5) Not woman held a presidential cabinet position in the United States until 1933. When Frances Perkins became secretary of labor. (89.1)
[答案] A Not 改为No.
hare (努力、副词)- hardly (几乎不、副词)
close (接近、形容词)- closely (接近、副词)
near (接近、形容词)- nearly (几乎、副词)
(1) Chief Joseph Flesche. A vigorous Omaha leader， worked hardly to make his nation a proud and progressive one. (93.1)
[答案] B hardly (几乎不)改为hard(努力)。
(2) Glaciers that develop nearly the North and South Poles advance into the sea. Break into pieces， and become icebergs. (90.8)
[答案] B 副词nearly意思是“几乎”。此句应改为near(接近)。
(3) Those electrons most closely to the nucleus are held electromagnetic force. (92.1)
[答案] B most closely 改为most close。